Dealing with a Death

Besides the financial ramifications of a person's death, dealing with all the administrative details and paperwork can be very stressful for the family members of the deceased.

Each province has certain paperwork requirements for dealing with death, and there are also numerous Federal government agencies which must be notified about a death.

If you have recently experienced the death of a family member, we hope that the information provided below can help you begin the process of dealing with all the paperwork. This information can be used as a general guideline as we recommend that you consult your Provincial government regarding the paperwork required for dealing with a death.

Registration of Death Form

This is usually filled out at the funeral home when the funeral arrangements are being made. It is a permanent legal record of the death. It is the responsibility of the spouse, next of kin or person who has full knowledge of the facts surrounding the person who has passed away to complete a Registration of Death Form.

Certificate of Death

Vital Statistics uses the information on the Registration of Death Form to create an official Certificate of Death. The executor/personal representative or other eligible person should order a Certificate of Death. Many organizations will require this document before decisions can be made on behalf of the deceased. Until you receive the Certificate of Death, the funeral director will issue a Statement of Death that you can use.

Medical Certificate of Death

This will have been completed by an attending physician or medical examiner. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will sometimes become involved in the case of an unexplained or sudden death. You can order a photocopy of the Medical Certificate of Death from Vital Statistics if required.

Federal Government Programs

After a Death: Click Here



Contact our office if you need any assistance in dealing with the financial paperwork related to the death of a loved one.